What is Organic Food ? The benefits of Organic Food.
The term Organic is used to specify, how agricultural products are cultivated, grown and processed for consumption. Depending on the country of regulation, organic food products may be labelled differently. However, in most of the countries, organic food products mean, they have been produced without using synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, sewage sludge based fertilizers, bioengineered genes and petroleum based fertilizers.
When it comes to meat, egg or other animal food products, they are considered organic, if they have access to outdoor environment, fed on organic feed and may not be administered with antibiotics, growth hormones or any other animal byproduct.
To summarize, organic food produces have fewer traces of pesticides and consuming organic food has better health effects than other food products. Let’s discuss how adopting an organic lifestyle, not only impacts individual lives but also the society as a whole.
1. Conventionally grown food products have heavy residues of chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, fungicides etc, Though these chemicals help in increased amount of food, when they enter human body, they affect the human physiology and anatomy in an adverse way causing temporary discomfort to permanent damage. On the other hand, consuming organic food products ensures natural human physiology and ensures normal assimilation of nutrients to the body and natural processes.
2. Organic food products are often fresher than non organic produces. The non organic produces are treated with hormones and other food preservatives in order to have a longer life, however organic food products are grown in limited geographies,( though there has been increasing awareness and the organic food products business is growing) hence mostly the produces are fresh and healthy.
3. The basic concept of organic farming is eco- inclusive and and environmental protection.Hence organic farming does not harm the soil , water or the whole environment as the conventional method of farming does to the environment. To put it in other words, organic farming, reduces pollution, soil erosion and retains soil fertility.
4. Non-organic animal products are produced feeding the animals with non organic fodder and along with they are also administered with antibiotics and other animal byproducts. This process of animal by product production has adverse effects on human health when consumed. At the same time this also causes diseases in livestock. On the other hand livestock grown using organic methods are healthier for consumption
5. Organically grown food are free of genetically modified organisms, hence are more risk free in compared to non organic products
One question may arise, are organically produced food completely free of pesticides? The answer is it depends on where it is grown. However, organic food produces have lesser traces of pesticides, The pesticides used in organic farming are not synthetic but naturally produced pesticides such as neem oil extracts. When the traces of synthetic pesticides are above harmful levels they affect the health of the consumers. However, consuming organic food the chances of getting affected by such incidences becomes much lower. As discussed above adopting an organic lifestyle makes individual lives healthy and also preserves the environmental conditions.